Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Alden Nowlan


At one time, I enjoyed doing caricatures. Often I linked my drawing with authors that I taught.
I particularly liked this one. Having met Nowlan on a number of occasions, I felt I knew him and that it was a good likeness.
Nowlan was a fine poet too. I think his work was liked by the students too. He also wrote short stories and was a journalist.
He was born in Stanley, not too far from Truro, but most of his working life was in New Brunswick and he had a long stint as writer-in-residence and UNB in Fredericton.

3 comments:

  1. Also,for anyone reading this post, Neil is currently the Truro Art Society's featured artist on the TAS website.
    Check out his members page at www.truroartsociety.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowlan is also the caricature used on that page; I guess I have a fondness for it. Alden and I were born a few miles and a few months apart. I met him a few times and liked him very much. And Stanley isn't too far from Maitland. - N

    ReplyDelete